Most products on this page are from partners who may compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how they appear on the page. However, opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airline or hotel chain. This page may include information about American Express products currently unavailable on Slickdeals. American Express is not a partner of Slickdeals.
- This offer is valid until 10/7/23.
- Open a Perks Checking Account and receive a qualifying direct deposit within 90 days of account opening to receive a $400 bonus.
- Open a Platinum Perks Checking Account, make cumulative new money deposits of $25,000 within 90 days of account opening and keep your account open for 90 days to earn a $600 bonus.
Huntington Bank offers several checking and savings accounts (as well as a student checking account and an MMA IRA), making it easier for prospective customers to find a banking solution tailored to their needs. Additionally, new customers may qualify for a bonus of up to a whopping $600, depending on which checking account they choose.
While these bank bonuses aren't available to consumers in all states, Huntington may be a good fit for you if you live within its market.
If you're considering Huntington Bank or you're looking into bank bonuses as a way to earn some extra cash, here's everything you need to know.
Huntington Bank Promotions: Earn Up to $600 in Bonuses
Huntington National Bank is currently offering two bonuses, which are available to customers in select states. In particular, new checking account holders can earn up to a $600 cash bonus when they open an account and meet certain requirements.
Here's how they break down.
Perks Checking Bonus: $400 Cash Bonus
Open a Huntington Bank Perks CheckingSM account through this page by October 7, 2023, and have a qualifying direct deposit made to the account within 90 days of account opening—plus keep your account open for at least 90 days. You'll receive your bonus amount within 14 days of meeting the requirements.
Platinum Perks Checking Bonus: $600 Cash Bonus
Open a Huntington Bank Platinum Perks CheckingSM account through this page by October 7, 2023, and make cumulative new money deposits of at least $25,000 within 90 days of account opening and keep your account open for at least 90 days. You'll receive your bonus amount within 14 days of meeting the requirements.
All funds deposited to earn the bonus must be new to Huntington Bank, so it can't be money you currently have on deposit with the bank unless it's a maturing personal certificate of deposit.
Both bonuses are limited to residents of the following states:
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
Additionally, you can't earn the bonus if you've closed a Huntington checking account in the last six months.
Huntington Accounts: What You Need to Know
Huntington Bank offers three checking accounts, two savings accounts, two money market accounts and a certificate of deposit. It also offers a student checking account and a Money Market Account IRA, which we'll cover elsewhere.
Here's what you need to know about each to determine whether one is a good fit for you.
The simplest of the bank's checking accounts, Asterisk-Free Checking offers no monthly maintenance fee and no minimum balance requirement.
With this interest-bearing checking account, previously known as the Huntington 5 Checking account, customers can earn money on their balances. However, Huntington Bank doesn't disclose rates publicly. Rather, it states that annual percentage yields (APYs) will vary based on your zip code.
The account also covers up to five ATM fees each statement cycle on non-Huntington ATM withdrawals.
The account has no opening deposit requirement. It does have a $10 monthly service fee, but you can get it waived if you make at least $1,000 in deposits each billing cycle or maintain a balance of $5,000 across all of your Huntington accounts.
Platinum Perks CheckingSM
Huntington Bank's highest-tier checking account, the Platinum Perks account offers a variety of benefits for its customers with higher net worths. In addition to earning interest on your balance, which varies based on your zip code, the account also offers:
- Unlimited fee-free ATM withdrawals at non-Huntington ATMs
- Better interest rates on the bank's savings and money market accounts.
- A relationship discount on mortgage loans and home equity lines of credit (HELOCs)
- 100 commission-free trades of equities and exchange-traded funds with a Huntington Financial Advisors account
Platinum Perks Checking has no minimum deposit requirement when you open a new account. There is a $25 monthly service fee, but it is waivable if you maintain $25,000 or more across your Huntington Bank accounts.
This basic savings account offers a 0.01% APY as of February 2023, which is unimpressive but standard for most traditional banks. You can open a new account with a minimum deposit of $50. Remarkably, the account charges a $4 maintenance fee every month, but you can get it waived with a minimum daily balance of $300 or if you also have one of the bank's checking accounts.
This savings account promises better interest rates than the Premier Savings account, particularly if you have a Perks Checking or Platinum Perks Checking account. But don't expect the APY to compete with high-yield savings accounts. Here's what you'll get based on your relationship with the bank:
- Non-relationship rate: 0.01% APY.
- With Perks Checking: 0.02% APY.
- With Platinum Perks Checking: 0.02% APY.
- With Private Client account: 0.06% APY.
The account charges a $10 monthly fee, but you can get it waived with a $2,500 average daily balance or if you have an eligible checking account.
Relationship Money Market
A money market account offers some of the benefits of both a checking and savings account. With this one, though, you won't earn any interest on your money unless you have a minimum balance of $25,000.
Here's how the interest rates break down (promotional rates for balances $25,000 and up, as of May 2023):
- Non-relationship rate: 3.90% APY.
- With Perks Checking: 4.02% APY.
- With Platinum Perks Checking: 4.00% APY.
- With Private Client account: 4.10% APY.
While this won't be relevant for most people, if your balance is above $2 million, the APY falls to 0.25%. Also note that these are promotional rates, and the standard rates are quite a bit lower.
The account has a $25 monthly fee, but you can get it waived if you maintain the $25,000 average daily balance or have an eligible checking account.
Certificates of Deposit
Huntington Bank offers a fixed-rate certificate of deposit (CD) with terms ranging from 1 to 72 months and APYs ranging from 0.05% to 0.10%. As of May 2023, it's also offering a promotional 5.13% APY on a 11-month fixed-rate CD.
The bank also offers jumbo CDs with terms ranging from seven to 1,825 days with similar rate ranges.
Huntington Bank Features and Benefits
Depending on which type of checking account you have with Huntington, you may be able to take advantage of some of the following features:
- Standby Cash: Qualify for a line of credit worth $100 to $500, which you can pay back with automatic payments over three months interest-free. If you opt out of autopay, there's a 1% monthly interest charge, or a 12% APR.
- Overdraft and returned fee relief: If you overdraw your account by $50 or less, there's no overdraft fee. And if you overdraw by more than $50, you'll have a 24-hour grace period to bring your account back above $0 before the bank charges a fee.
- ATM access: You can withdraw money fee-free from any of Huntington's 1,600+ ATMs. Out-of-network ATM withdrawals cost $3.50 per transaction in addition to the third-party fee charged by the ATM owner.
- Credit monitoring: If you have a Perks Checking or Platinum Perks Checking account, you can get access to your VantageScore credit score and a condensed version of your Experian credit report. Note, however, that the VantageScore is not as widely used as the FICO® Score in lending decisions.
- Identity theft monitoring: If you have a Platinum Perks Checking account, you'll get 24/7 identity theft monitoring at no additional cost. The bank will notify you of changes made to your Experian credit report, personal information found on the dark web and a dedicated specialist to help you if someone manages to steal your identity to commit fraud.
- Early Pay: Receive your paycheck up to two days early if you set up direct deposit.
- Check deposit availability: Get instant access to up to $500 of your funds when depositing checks to your account.
- The Hub: Get access to digital tools to help you better manage your spending, find more ways to save and set and work toward financial goals.
- Zelle: Make person-to-person transfers to anyone with a U.S. bank account through Zelle. If the other person has a Zelle account, you can send money to their bank account within minutes.
- Money Scout®: This service analyzes your spending habits, income and upcoming expenses, then automatically tucks away money you don't currently need in your savings account.
- Student options: High school and college students can open any of the bank's checking accounts in-branch at one of the bank's brick-and-mortar locations. If you're a minor, though, you'll need an adult to open the account with you as a joint account holder.
Huntington Bank Account Fees
In addition to the monthly service fees covered above, the bank may also charge fees on certain activities in your account. Here's a list of some of the fees you may come across:
- ATM extended statement fee: $2
- International transaction fee: 3%
- Check order fee: Varies (free for Platinum Perks Checking customers)
- Overdraft protection plan: $12 monthly fee for a checking reserve account; $0 if transferred from a linked savings or money market account, a personal line of credit or a Huntington credit card (though interest and cash advance fees may apply)
- Overdraft fee: $15 per item, up to three fees per day.
- Return fee: $15 per returned payment, up to one fee per day
- Stop payment fee: $31
- Return deposit item fee: $10
- Foreign currency fee: $8 each time you deposit or order foreign currency
- Expedited delivery for debit or ATM cards: $25
- Cashier's check fee: $6 per check
- Internal wire transfer fee: $10
- Incoming wire transfer fee (domestic or international): $15
- Domestic outgoing wire transfer fee: $25
- International outgoing wire transfer fee: $75
- Image statement fee: $3
- Document copies: $5 per request
- Garnishment: $75 per order
- Dormant account fee: $5 per month if your account is inactive for 12 months and your balance is below $50
About Huntington National Bank
Founded in 1866, Huntington National Bank primarily operates in 11 states, including Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
In addition to a variety of checking accounts and savings accounts, the full-service bank also offers credit cards, personal loans, mortgage loans, home equity loans and lines of credit, investments, trust and estate planning, business and start-up banking, private banking and more.
Huntington Bank Pros and Cons
It can be difficult to find a good bank or credit union that provides for all of your banking needs. If you live in one of the states where Huntington has physical branches and prefer in-person service, it could be worth considering. But it's important to consider all of the pros and cons before you make a decision.
- ATM fee waivers for some or all out-of-network ATM fees with Perks or Platinum Perks account
- Variety of products, including credit cards, investing services, insurance products and loans
- Standby Cash and overdraft relief offer flexibility for your funds
- New Perks and Platinum Perks account holders can earn a cash bonus when they meet the requirements
- A lot of fees, even on savings accounts, which is rare
- Only available in 11 states, and only some have branches
- Low savings APYs
Is a Huntington Bank Account Right for You?
If you're thinking about applying for a Huntington Bank checking account to earn a cash bonus, take your time to consider other features the bank has to offer and how that might fit into your long-term needs.
It's also a good idea to compare other options, including Axos Bank, Capital One, Ally Bank, Discover and many more, before making your decision. In particular, look at banks that offer fee-free checking with direct deposit requirements and accounts that may be able to offer you higher interest rates on your savings.
That said, if you have a Huntington Bank credit card or other products with the financial institution, it could make sense to keep everything in one place. Take your time to research all of your options to find the best one for you.