Most products on this page are from partners who may compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how they appear on the page. However, opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airline or hotel chain. This page may include information about American Express products currently unavailable on Slickdeals. American Express is not a partner of Slickdeals.
The information for the My Best Buy Visa® Card and My Best Buy® Credit Card has been collected independently by Slickdeals. The product details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the bank advertiser.
My Best Buy® Credit Card
Secure application on issuer’s website
- Our Rating 3.5/5 How our ratings work
- APR31.49% (Variable)
- Annual Fee$0
Frequent Best Buy shoppers with a big purchase to make will benefit the most from this card's 5% back on Best Buy purchases and its special financing options. One downside is that the rewards earned can only be redeemed toward the retailer's purchases.
Best for Frequent Best Buy Shoppers
The My Best Buy® Credit Card and My Best Buy Visa® Card are co-branded store cards specifically geared toward rewarding consumers who frequently shop at Best Buy stores or online at BestBuy.com. Cardholders of the Visa version can also earn rewards on other popular spending categories like gas, dining, and grocery purchases. Redemptions on both cards are limited to the retailer, though, so only loyal Best Buy shoppers should consider the Best Buy credit cards.
Also, note two versions of the My Best Buy Visa Card exist — Gold and Platinum. If Citi doesn’t approve you for the no-annual-fee Platinum version, it may approve you for the Gold version, which has a $59 annual fee.
- No annual fee
- Solid rewards rate on Best Buy purchases
- Decent sign-up offer
- Flexible financing options
- Rewards can only be used at Best Buy
- No major perks
- Financing can lead to high interest if not paid in full in time
- Reward certificates expire
- Welcome offer: 10% back on your first day of purchase upon card approval
- 5% back in rewards on Best Buy purchases, or choose flexible financing options
- 3% back in rewards on gas purchases (Visa cardholder exclusive)
- 2% back in rewards on dining and grocery purchases (Visa cardholder exclusive)
- 1% back in rewards on everyday purchases (Visa cardholder exclusive)
- Limited-time bonus reward categories
- No foreign transaction fees
- No annual fee
Sign-up bonuses often require meeting certain spending requirements within an assigned period following card opening. The My Best Buy® Visa Card doesn't have a traditional sign-up bonus. Instead, new cardholders receive a one-time sign-up bonus upon card approval:
- Receive 10% back in rewards on your first day of purchases when you are approved for the card.
- The offer is only good for your first day of purchases on the card using standard credit within the first 14 days of account opening.
Because the 10% back offer is a one-time bonus and expires two weeks from account approval, applying for this card is best when you have a large upcoming purchase or purchases at Best Buy.
The My Best Buy Credit Card only earns 5% back on all Best Buy purchases or the option to choose flexible financing, which can include deferred interest on purchases.
However, with the My Best Buy Visa Card, you can also earn a percentage back on select purchases outside the retailer:
- 5% back in rewards on Best Buy purchases or flexible financing options
- 3% back in rewards on gas purchases
- 2% back in rewards on dining and grocery purchases
- 1% back in rewards on everyday purchases
Our partner, Citi, may provide additional limited-time bonus spending categories (activation required) at their discretion.
Best Rewards Credit CardsVisit the Marketplace
Rewards are earned at a rate of 2.5 points for every $1 spent.
- For every 250 points you earn, you can receive a $5 rewards certificate. (This comes out to a $5 reward certificate for every $100 spent)
As with many store cards, you can only redeem rewards toward Best Buy and BestBuy.com purchases or with select Best Buy partners. The rewards come in the form of rewards certificates, good toward store purchases.
Rewards certificates act similarly to a coupon, dropping the cost of Best Buy purchases. They have no cash value, so you won't receive money back on purchases that cost less than the certificate amount.
Rewards certificates expire at the end of the expiration date shown on the reward certificate.
Card Benefits and Perks
The My Best Buy Visa comes with few benefits outside its rewards program. Here's what's included with the card:
- High rewards rate on Best Buy purchases: The best part of the retailer's credit card is the 5% back you'll get on Best Buy purchases. If you are a frequent Best Buy shopper and want the best deals from Best Buy, you'll be able to rack up rewards effortlessly toward your next purchase.
- Flexible financing: Cardholders can finance Best Buy purchases instead of earning rewards. The card offers multiple financing options such as deferred interest regardless of the purchase amount.
- Deferred interest offers: Cardholders may receive special limited-time deferred interest offers on select card purchases.
- Exclusive offers: Cardholders can access limited-time and exclusive Best Buy offers. These offers require activation, which is done under the "My Offers" tab within your online account.
Shop Popular Deals from Best Buy
HP 15.6" Laptop: Ryzen 5 7520U, 16GB LPDDR5, 256GB SSD, Windows 11 $329.99 + Free Shipping @ Best BuySee Deal
Apple Pencil (2nd Generation, MU8F2AM/A) $79 + Free ShippingSee Deal
4-Pack Apple AirTags Bluetooth Tracking Device $80 + Free Shipping or Free Store Pickup at Best BuySee Deal
Like most store credit cards, the My Best Buy Visa Card has limited value outside of the retailer. It rewards spending outside of Best Buy, but its rewards and perks all live within the Best Buy world. The card has some major drawbacks to consider before deciding if it's right for you.
- Rewards redemption limited to Best Buy: The only way to redeem rewards is for Best Buy reward certificates, which you can apply toward future purchases at Best Buy stores or online at BestBuy.com.
- High APR: The card charges a relatively high APR. Carrying a balance could mean paying expensive interest charges unless you take advantage of special financing offers.
- Untraditional bonus offer: The card's sign-up bonus is a limited one-time offer. With traditional sign-up bonuses, you know what you're getting if you meet the offer requirements to earn the bonus. The My Best Buy Visa's bonus offer value depends on how much you spend on your first day of purchases. The bonus isn't worth much if you don't spend considerable money at the store or miss the offer's short deadline.
The My Best Buy Credit Card and the Visa Platinum carry no annual fee. But if you are approved for the Visa Gold, there is a $59 annual fee. Citi determines eligibility based on creditworthiness. If you do not meet its requirements to receive the Platinum no-annual-fee version, Citi may approve you for the Gold version instead.
Should I Pay a Credit Card Annual Fee?
The Best Buy credit cards have a 31.49% (Variable) on purchases based on your creditworthiness. The card does not come with an introductory 0% APR offer.
The My Best Buy Visa Card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, which means you can use the card for purchases outside of the U.S. without paying additional fees. If you don't have a dedicated travel credit card, your Best Buy Visa Card can serve as one when you're abroad.
Like other credit cards, you'll also be charged fees for late payments, cash advances and balance transfers.
Recommended Credit Score
Citi does not disclose its credit and other requirements to qualify for the My Best Buy Visa Card. Store credit cards sometimes have lower credit requirements than standard rewards credit cards. The My Best Buy Visa may require a higher score since it's an open-loop card accepted outside of Best Buy. You likely need good to excellent credit to qualify, especially if you want to avoid paying an annual fee. A good credit score is a FICO® Score of 670 or higher.
Is the Best Buy Credit Card Worth It?
The My Best Buy Credit Card or Visa Card is worth it for frequent Best Buy shoppers or those planning a large upcoming purchase with the popular retailer. If you need a new appliance or are in the market for some new tech, you can earn rewards on everyday spending and redeem it for your next purchase. The best part about Best Buy is that they price match Amazon and other major retailers, so you know you'll be getting one of the lowest prices out there.
On the other hand, the Best Buy credit cards are not a good fit for anyone looking for flexible rewards you can redeem outside of Best Buy, like travel or cash-back rewards.
Best Credit Cards for Online Shopping (December 2023)
Frequently Asked Questions
Citi issues the My Best Buy Visa Card. Card payments are made through Citi, not Best Buy. You can apply for the card through Best Buy's website, but Citi manages the account and payments.
The My Best Buy Visa is accepted anywhere that accepts Visa. The My Best Buy® Credit Card, on the other hand, is a closed-loop credit card only good for Best Buy and BestBuy.com purchases.
The My Best Buy Visa may require a higher score since it's an open-loop card accepted outside of Best Buy. You likely need at least a good score of 670 to qualify, especially if you want to avoid paying an annual fee.
Citi does not publicly disclose the credit limit range for the My Best Buy Visa. Credit limits are based on your creditworthiness and other factors.