Most products on this page are from partners who may compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how they appear on the page. However, opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airline or hotel chain. This page may include information about American Express products currently unavailable on Slickdeals. American Express is not a partner of Slickdeals.
🎉Free Weekly Credit Reports Now Available Permanently
- In September 2023, the nation's three largest credit bureaus agreed to make the pandemic-era change to weekly reports permanent
- In the past, consumers could only access their Equifax, Experian and TransUnion reports for free once a year
- To get your free reports, go to annualcreditreport.com
As of September 2023, consumers can now get free weekly credit reports, according to information shared by Consumer Reports. In the past, you could only get a free credit report from Equifax, Experian and TransUnion once a year, but this was changed to a weekly cadence during the COVID-19 pandemic. With this update, consumers can now check their credit reports every week—permanently.
Why You Should Check Your Credit Report
Your credit score is a snapshot of your financial health. It's an important number that impacts borrowing rates and whether or you will get the loan you're after. The higher your credit number, the better your standing, and everything from apartments to car dealerships will check and judge your credit.
If you're concerned about bills from credit cards and other unpaid debts, it's good to know what your credit report looks like. Know your score before you make any big financial choices. You can also use these reports to check for fraud or errors. Should you find any, make sure you contact the reporting bureau and the creditor immediately.
How to Ask for a Credit Limit Increase and Actually Get Approved
How to Get Your Free Weekly Credit Report
There are three ways to get your free weekly credit report from the three major agencies:
- Online: Go to AnnualCreditReport.com and have personal information like your Social Security number and birthday ready. You'll be able to print copies of your credit report immediately.
- Phone: Call 877-322-8228. Your requested reports will be mailed to you, and the number is toll free.
- Mail: Download the annual credit report request form, print and fill it out, then mail it to the Request Service with this address: Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.
The Best Credit Cards for Bad Credit
The change to make weekly free credit reports available to consumers on a permanent basis is a great step that has the potential to help many people get or stay informed on their credit health. The more information you have, the easier it can be to improve your credit score, apply for a loan or just prepare for your financial future.